The Singapore Economic Development Board (EDB), a government agency under the Ministry of Trade and Industry, is responsible for strategies that enhance Singapore’s position as a global center for business, innovation, and talent. We undertake investment promotion and industry development, and work with international businesses, both foreign and local, by providing information, connection to partners and access to government incentives for their investments. Our mission is to create sustainable economic growth, with vibrant business and good job opportunities for Singapore.
For more information on EDB, please visit www.edb.gov.sg
About New Ventures
Companies globally are getting disrupted by technology and shifts in business models. There is an urgent need for them to be developing new revenue streams or businesses. The EDB New Ventures team is fuelling the drive in corporate venture building and new venture creation here in Singapore to address this.
In EDB New Ventures, we are spearheading novel ways of supporting companies in their corporate venturing journey. This includes embarking on joint venture building sprints alongside strategic corporate partners, co-investment with corporates to risk-share early-stage growth of their ventures and active portfolio value creation to scale each venture. To drive awareness and level up the ecosystem capabilities in corporate venturing, our team is also responsible for developing and executing new outreach models, programmes and community building efforts.
We are looking for a Senior Manager to drive the engagement of companies, participate and when ready, lead venture building sprints as well as launch initiatives and solutions to level up the corporate venturing ecosystem in Singapore.
Key responsibilities will include:
• Conduct, synthesise and present quantitative and qualitative research about the venture idea, including related key trends, competitors, market needs, technical feasibility and commercial viability, that would help to strategically frame and guide the concept forward.
• Lead the customer discovery process and concept testing of the venture building sprint. These include securing customer interview targets, developing hypotheses and interview questions, synthesising insights arising from the interviews and mapping out customer journey and personas.
• Brainstorming of opportunity areas, crafting of innovative and viable value propositions for the potential business concepts
• Formulate business plan comprising business and financial model, go-to-market strategy, product concept and key resources / next steps required to set up a new corporate venture
• Develop and execute online and physical engagement sessions for the corporate venturing ecosystem. Key tasks include proposing event concept and oversee drafting of event collaterals, RSVPs, event logistics and post-event follow-ups
• Manage ongoing as well as pilot new outreach models, products and solutions to raise the awareness of corporate venturing and capabilities of corporates as they build new ventures
• Support senior members of the New Ventures team and EDB business units in meetings with companies and in external conferences by developing the engagement strategy and preparing pre and post meeting materials.
As the candidate gains more experience, there will be opportunities to develop leadership, strategy formulation, business development and customer engagement skills. The candidate can also expect to work closely with our venture capital team in prospecting due diligence of corporate ventures.
To meet the challenges of this role, you must have:
• A strong interest and passion in start-up or venture creation
• 5-8 years of working experience, preferably in a product management, concept exploration and design, human-centered research capabilities, market analysis and strategy development role
• Experience working alongside multiple stakeholders to create new products, services and business models
• A Bachelor’s Degree in any discipline with relevant working experience
• Strong analytical ability that can be applied in research of opportunity areas, distillation of qualitative and quantitative data into insights, development and assessment of business models etc
• Having an understanding of Agile, lean and user-centered design methodologies is a plus
• Familiarity with digital platforms and tools, including Miro, Airtable and LinkedIn is a plus
• Possess the following skill sets and attributes:
o Proactive, energetic and curious
o Positive, can-do attitude
o Adaptable, receptive to uncertainty and change
o Confident with high level of resourcefulness to drive new initiatives and projects
o Strong organisational, time management and multi-tasking skills
o Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
o Independent but a strong team player
We review applications and interview on a rolling basis. Applicants can expect to receive an application outcome within 8 weeks of application date.